Thursday, October 05, 2006

Was Everyone in the 1950s an Alcoholic?

I'm just curious. Our home is decked out with a cool wet bar in the basement. Something I noticed when we were house hunting was that almost every home built in the 1950s and 60s had some sort of "bar" in the basement. What is up with that? Did people back then really drink so much that they decided to incorporate a bar into their own home? It's really bugging me trying to figure that one out. I know, I'm crazy, but I just thought that it seemed kind of funny. Does anyone else have a theory about this?

2 comments:

modernemama said...

No internet or cable TV, few places to dine out, I think that's probably why everyone had a bar in their house-they socialized at home. And of course wine wasn't as available back then so whereas today you may see wine coolers or cellars, forty or fifty years ago it was hard liquor. We have a great bar in the den of our 1968 house, unfortunately it's not stocked!

Mary-Frances said...

Our neighborhood was Italian and a lot of 50's architecture and again, HUGE entertainment spaces. I do think people entertained a lot at home and at least drinking and driving doesn't come into play when you're at home.
Of course none of this means they necessarily drank to excess...


My blog is worth $3,387.24.
How much is your blog worth?